Monday, June 15, 2009

Rumors in Need of Reference

Really, there is not a ton of information about neuro-technology on the internet, it turns out.

There are several commercial companies making claims that either can't be backed by science or are referring to a broad span of science 'in general' which may not apply to what someone does with their product or what they are advertising.

There are a variety of a surprisingly small number of people (given the sales of brain-tech items and that this has been going on since the early 1990s at least), most of whom do not have much experience with it and are asking questions.

Of those who do clearly have some experience with it, most of the answers are "there aren't any answers" and most of the assertions they make, they provide zero actual reference to legitimate science. This isn't entirely their fault. There may not be any legit science or it might never have been posted. They may have got the info from someone they took seriously or from their own experience (although the latter would be nice to have noted). But the end result is that someone new to the field has no idea what to take seriously.

Humorously when I do searching for information, I often find 3-10 pages with the identical phrasings on them, all with the same complete dearth of useful information.

I'm going to make a post I can update to include various rumors, assertions, and half-references I find, which need more information. One would think they were true the way they are tossed about with all the absolute faith of doctrinal details at a revival meeting, but I'm a bit skeptical since if they had something solid behind them, I would expect to stumble on it at some point. When I do, I'll post on it and make a link to that from this post.


RUMORS, ASSERTIONS AND HALF-REFERENCES

[s]Isochronic tones are much more effective at 'entrainment' than monaural or binaural.[/s] see posts 6/17/09

Shaping the waveform of the isochronic tone not only makes the sound more pleasant (I don't question this part) but creates less harmonics which may interfere with the overall intention to entrain.

Frequencies below the audible level cannot entrain.

There is no particular difference between the effectiveness of monaural vs. binaural tones.

Adding sonic stimulus to photic stimulus has no particular increase in effect.

Sonic stimulation is not particularly effective alone.

In 1942 'tactile stimulation' was demonstrated to have an entrainment effect. (Cannot find this paper though I believe it exists.) Questions: What KIND of tactile stimulation specifically? Why is there no further info about a tactile approach? (Prior to the late 80s this would have been much easier to arrange than light/sound for mechanical/technical reasons I'd think so it makes me wonder.)

10 Hz entrains faster/easier than all other frequencies.

Entrainment is not when a targeted part of the brain (eg the part affected by the sensory(s) you are stimulating) has a frequency following response, but when other parts of the brain also then pick up that response.


Other notes

Apparently this field has its own definition of 'meditation' which is basically when one is fully in alpha-theta with no beta. I disagree with this because they are only referring to one type of meditation, the 'no-mind' sort that gets all the press in the West; there are other types of meditation such as shamanic meditation which tends to be theta-delta with a little high beta I suspect (haven't measured it, only guessing), as one example. In a perfect world they would use a far more specific word than 'meditation' which encompasses a lot of things that are definitely not that frequency description (even intense prayer, held fast, is considered a form of meditation).

It was pointed out to me (by CraigT) that entrainment is kind of a mis-focus in any case; that there may be many reasons, applications, and benefits that really don't have anything to do with entrainment or whether it is really happening. I don't doubt this, and if anything it sounds reasonable and more interesting in a way, but I'd like more info. I suppose I'll trip on it myself.

PJ

.

No comments:

Post a Comment