Thursday, June 25, 2009

Neuroprogrammer 2, Procyon, Thought Sounds

I did my first 'neuroprogrammer'-sourced session this evening. OK, I only did a small part of one, but enough to get some idea of it.

To make this happen I opened NP2 software and listed the preset sessions. I plugged the cord (1/16 jack) from my computer headphone port into the auxilliary port of the Procyon, then plugged in the headphones and goggles. I changed the mode on the Procyon to "AS" (audiostrobe, as that is what is encoded in the NP2 file(s)). And then I pressed play on my computer, for that NP2 session.

NP2 FrequenciesThe sound is certainly better. It's my understanding that MindPlace's "Proteus" unit, which was released prior to the Procyon, is actually way better with sound, just not as advanced with light. One assumes their next product will combine the best of those worlds. In the meantime that is why I got NP2 software, so I could handle the sound in great detail.

The light is only red and green (no blue) because that is what the AudioStrobe format (which NP2 is putting out so that the Procyon can read it for the goggles) defaults to. Maybe AS will upgrade their own options at some point but for now that's the tradeoff. It was ok. I mean the colors were not as interesting but the sound was better. I would say it was equal as a result.

I was using the NP2 present "Hypnotic Relax Example" because I had begun by looking at the session file, considering when I'll have time to begin building one of my own to start experimenting. I did not expect any preset to be all that great frankly so I did not intend to do a whole session, just to maybe sit through 10 minutes of something, anything, and see what the difference was between using this as a session-source vs. the Procyon's stuff.

I noticed at one point that I had just suddenly shifted into serious trance and felt good. I interrupted myself to pull off my goggles and lift up my laptop screen so I could see what the session was doing at that point.

It was just at a change point, just before-during-after that point somewhere, about two (2) minutes in. All the various things going on are at 12 Hz and 10 Hz; the 12 had finished a cycle of coming down from 14 Hz and the 10 had finished a cycle of coming up from 8 Hz. On the other side of the point they had shifted the other way, the 8 starting a ramp toward 12 and the twelve starting a ramp toward 9.

I stopped the session at that point as I was interrupted by "the real world", which apparently is filled with people who think me sitting around in the dark with headphones and matrix-like reflective shades flashing colored lights is kind of odd.

(What I really need is a black light Crowley poster just to freak everybody out.) (Just kidding.) (I'm really not 16 anymore, I swear.)

I actually wondered why I would respond so well to this compared to the sessions I've done with the Procyon presets. I hypothesize that my being more geared to sound as a primary sensory, and perhaps that this multi-track session had only two tones but more cross-confirmation of those tones between the various track options, maybe that made some difference.

(On the left: frequencies are up the left side, timing is across the bottom.)

Next topic: Thought-Sounds:

I got a chance to look this over. Interesting approach they took here. Basically, they provide you all these nice sounds but they are only 6 minutes long each! They provide you software to help you loop them. (I will see if Audacity will let me loop it also.)

I haven't yet listened to any of them, but if the descriptions are any clue, I may need some Nag Champa incense, Ingo Swann paintings, and maybe some feathers and crystals when I do. Heh. I think it'll be cool though.

PJ

.

1 comment:

  1. Hey PJ,
    Liz may have mentioned me to you before, I do those projects with her that she may have told you about with Aurora. Anyway, I got this NP2 back about a year ago and started using it too, not as deeply studying it as you it seems, but for sure it is very exciting. I'm sure there's lots of applications between NP2, hypnosis and RV coming together. Of course, as you suggest, the Nag Champa cranks the whole thing up a notch or two. 'Good to see all your efforts herre, it is very cool. Somtime, I'd like to share with you an application I had with hypnosis and RV, it was quite interesting, and fruitful.
    Best wishes,
    Don aka: Lapis

    ReplyDelete